Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Pics From The Cultural Food Fair

It is Carnival time on St. Thomas and today was the Cultural Food Fair. I missed this important event last year and wasn't gonna let that happen again, although, as it turned out, the Fair is not very vegan-friendly...
the front of this guy's shirt...
and the back. I bought one for the Mr. and one for me...
there are around around a hundred vendors selling homemade food and drink...
a lot of stewed things...
I should probably ask what one is supposed to do with Tamarind or Gooseberry Stew...
this non-vegan cake caught my eye...
alumni from Charlotte Amalie Class of 1972 were selling mixed drinks...
the Mr. got some Rice and Beans and Stewed Tofu, but I just got two pieces of cake for later...
Guavaberry Vienna Cake...
and rapidly melting Chocolate Cake. Both from a local farmer.
the Fair is held next to Fort Christian, which just recently re-opened to the public (and was featured on 'The Bachelor' this year). Cant believe I went over three weeks without blogging. That is a record for me, but it gave me insight into why so many people just abandon their blogs without saying 'good bye'. I will be posting lots more (including an upcoming trip to Europe!). Thanks for looking. Bye for now.

14 comments:

  1. Mr. VI's food looks delicious. It looks like a fun day, it's a shame it wasn't more vegan friendly. But both cakes look divine!
    I was worried when it seemed like you disappeared!
    How exciting, Europe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strongly believe I will not disappear off the blogosphere without a proper 'goodbye'. But I do see how it happens.

      Delete
  2. Cake, carnival, upcoming trip to Europe - I'll take it! A break is always good for short while, but we missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life does sound exciting when you put it that way!

      Delete
  3. So glad you are back! That shirt is hilarious! They would sell millions here on the mainland. Looks like a really fun fair! Thank you for sharing with us and that cake looks seriously phenomenal!

    I'm so excited for you to go to Europe! I can't wait to read about it! I hope you have the best time and of course a safe trip :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been rough going making this trip happen. Whether I have a good time or not, at least I did it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is a great shirt. Had to get some as soon as I saw it.

      Delete
  5. Those stews are interesting! And Guavaberry OMG I want to try Guavaberry! LOVED seeing the pics and festivities! Very nice! FUN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guavaberry is becoming very commonplace. You will try it soon no doubt.

      Delete
  6. I was worried you were so quiet lately..!
    That fair looks great, nice score with the cake slices and funny t-shirts! Trip to europe is SO exciting, and planning the trip and researching is a big part of the fun of it.
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip planning has been so draining. Lots of logistics. Been back to Asia again? I passed BA Business Class on the way to steerage and it sure looked comfy.

      Delete
    2. Actually just got notice we go back june 1st, Seoul and then Shanghai again. We fly korea air business class and it certainly doesn't suck- but then again it's nearly 16hrs flight time and we work the next morning/24/7. The flights are the most relaxing part of the trip!!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
    3. June is coming up fast! Big thing on British Airways that really bugged me was all the waste - so much plastic. Everything wraooed inplastic. A new plastic cup with every drink. At least I believe business class gets their drinks with glass and meals with non-disposable cutlery.

      Delete