Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Meals and Mangoes

Some recent meals of note...
my first time adding Tofu to the Mango Avocado Salad at Mafolie. Wasnt as spectacular as I had hoped...
Polenta with Fried Tofu and Stewed Garbanzos for brunch at Shoreline Bar and Grille. Really good, but next time I will take half home, it was a colossal amount of food...
Shoreline is known for the huge Tarpon swimming in front of the restaurant. They are cool, but this visitor also came by while we ate. I was in heaven.
Feta-less Greek Salad at Jen's Island Deli. A surprisingly light and fresh Salad for a place that leans more towards comfort food, just what I needed. (Thanks again, Unknown, for telling me about these).
So tons of Mangoes have been hanging off the trees the past few weeks. We have a couple small Mango Trees in our yard, but none are big enough to fruit. Fortunately, a neighbor has been putting out his extra Mangoes for passers by...
see, he has so many coming down...
At first, I thought he was giving them away cuz they are so small, they are worthless. Turns out, you just need about ten of these little ones cut up to get a nice big meal. When Mangoes are free, cutting them up is much less stressful and I have become rather adept at it. 
A Skink at Phantasea Botanical Gardens. Sadly, these passive reptiles are endangered due to habitat destruction and predators. That is all. Thanks for looking. Bye for now.

9 comments:

  1. Ooooh how kind of your neighbor! The mango looks amazing, what a nice treat! The polenta with fried tofu looks absolutely incredible as does the greek salad. Your little dining companion is so adorable!!! What a great pic of the skink! So sad that they are endangered.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really kind of our neighbor! If they had a mailbox I would leave them a thank you note.

      Delete
  2. I love your dining buddy! So adorable. That mango is so golden and sweet looking. How awesome to be able to have those gorgeous babies for free!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is literally too much Mango to eat. They are rolling in the gutters.

      Delete
  3. That tofu polenta dish looks awesome! It's great to find a tasty restaurant dish that's generous enough to bring home leftovers
    Free mangos are exciting! I buy frozen mangos chunks all the time and then eat them semi frozen all summer, they're like chunks of sorbet. I bet you would love the mexican mangos that are sprinkled with salt and chili flakes and a squeeze of lime juice.
    The greek salad does look refreshing! It's been too long since i had one myself.....
    ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to find vegan Polenta. Restaurants love to use cream and butter. I think I would love the Mexican Mangos. You still popping the frozen Grapes?

      Delete
    2. Oh yes, i have red grapes in my freezer at all times during the summer! I actually couldn't stop thinking about a greek salad after i realized how great that sounded and made myself one for dinner the other night with a few dolmas and a lot of kalamatas plus the veggies. Really hit the spot!
      Ttrockwood

      Delete
  4. I like to imagine that people in California share avocadoes off of their backyard trees, and the same in Florida and Texas with their citrus. I love to mini mangoes from your neighbor! They are a lot of work, so I'm glad you are at the expert level of peeling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in Virginia, people shared Zucchini and Tomatoes. What do they share in Denver?

      Delete