Saturday, June 18, 2016

Greetings from Frankfurt

This is the main square in Frankfurt, which today seemed like the crossroads of the universe...
everyone and their mother was out...
there was a mob of attractive people drinking wine in front of the Kleinmarkthalle...
I made my way through that mob outside to find another one inside...
an astonishing display of produce...
freshly made pasta...
exotic herbs and spices...
a gazillion ways to stuff dates...
come to think of it, these were probably vegan, I should have bought some duh...
I did buy three Artichokes that I snacked on in my room tonight. Best marinated Artichokes I've ever had...
having a hard time keeping this post in chronological order, but backtracking to arrival in Frankfurt, lunch was at Vevay...
upon entering, you ascend the spiral staircase to a tranquil seating area (I mention this as someone whose feet were killing them and was lugging a heavy backpack at the time)...
My 'Protein Bowl' Black Bean Spaghetti, Avocado, Beets, Lentil Salad, Sweet Potatoes, Sugar Snap Peas and Roasted Hemp Seeds completely met all my needs in terms of taste and wow factor...
after lunch, while I was walking around, I noticed some impressive looking policemen...
I loves me some drama and was curious why so many cops were hanging out. Turns out there were ten officers at the ready for two women holding anti-Islam placards...
nobody probably would have noticed them if the cops werent there, but then a pubescent boy grabbed one of the signs and ran off with it while other people cheered. The anti-Islam lady went after him, followed by the cops, and I followed to see if anything happened and that is when I found...
Sandwiches!
you take some tongs and grab a Sandwich to go...
I got to try Schnitzel...
and it was good!
so thanks anti-Islam lady and pubescent boy, without you two, I never would have had that great dinner. Still got this piece of cake from Vevay to get to...
Lots more about Frankfurt tomorrow. auf Wiedersehen für jetzt

10 comments:

  1. What an eventful day! I am impressed by your drive to actually get into the market, I would have seen the crowd and ran the other way! The market fare looks amazing, I'm still so impressed by the beautiful produce they have. The stuffed dates look so good, do you know what they were stuffed with?

    The bowl looks like a perfect way to re-fuel after your adventure of the day! Really delicious. How cool that you stumbled upon the lunch spot and hooray for getting to try vegan schnitzel! It looks so good, I'm definitely jealous! That bread looks really good too and you can't go wrong with some cake to finish out a day.

    Looking forward to tomorrow's post! I have been loving reading about your journey, thanks so much for posting everything so diligently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Dates were stuffed with different nuts -- Almonds, Hazelnuts, Walnuts -- as well as other dried Fruits. So imaginative. I cant believe I have posted here too, but maybe it will help someone on a future trip.

      Delete
  2. Good for that kid! I actually cannot fathom what the political outlook or situation must be like there right now.
    That protein bowl sounds great! Black bean spaghetti is awesome. Was it crowded in the restaurant?
    I love stuffed dates, too bad you missed out on those but i know how much you love artichokes, so that's nice you got some.
    The schnitzel does not look bad! So did you try to research areas/restaurants beforehand? Or did you figure you'd be able to stumble on enough to get by?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is discontent with the refugee sitation, but I havent seen any refugees that I am aware of. Definitely a lot of begging in the streets here by people who may or may not be refugees. You would have gone crazy over the Stuffed Date display. I read TripAdvisor and Happy Cow to prepare for the trip and what happened most of the time is that I stumbled upon places I hadnt planned to go but remembered reading about, like Das Eis.

      Delete
  3. This is so much fun reading about your trip, and seeing the sights with you.
    I so agree with Sara about wading through that crowd!
    That schnitzel looks really great! And yum for marinated artichokes!
    Am I imagining it, or are those dates super big?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about trying to around the crowd, but they were very cool about letting me through. The Dates, the Tortellinis, lots of items were at least double the size. I saw fresh Artickokes as big as bowling balls.

      Delete
  4. Ha ha! Good work, following their trail! Vegan schnitzel! But I think your lunch bowl looks like a piece of art; and full of tasty things. I concur with your wishing to buy some stuffed dates!

    It looks like you're having an amazing time!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could spend weeks in each of the cities - Munich, Salzburg, Franfurt - and not make a dent in all there is to offer. Hopefully I will return and see some of the stuff I missed.

      Delete
  5. What an incredible market- that photo of the chanterelles..!!! Maybe there are other spots selling stuffed dates that you will come across.
    Vevay sounds like a wonderful relaxing environment, and what a beautiful nourishing meal to keep you going. Yay for accidentally finding vegan schnitzel!
    Ttrockwood

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable place. I wish I could have visit there.
    I have also started blogging and would love to share such stuff with readers. The LookBook

    ReplyDelete